What is Liposuction?
Liposuction at New Life Cosmetic Surgery is when Dr. Lee performs liposuction surgery he is removing excess deposits of fat to improve the shape of a patient’s body. While liposuction is best known as a fat removal procedure, it should not be considered a weight loss surgery. It helps patients refine a patient’s shape. In females, it helps accentuate their natural curves. In men, it helps define their masculine physique.
Is Liposuction Right for Me?
Both men and women undergo liposuction every year to achieve a variety of different goals. Some patients want to look better in a swimsuit, while others want to find jeans that fit more comfortably.
If one or more of the following apply to you, liposuction is an option to consider:
- I have excess fat deposits on my hips, belly, thighs, neck, or chest that won’t respond to diet or exercise. Liposuction is excellent for reducing bulges or pockets of fat and sculpting the natural contour of the body
- I have certain areas out of proportion with the rest of my body. Often this is the lower abdominal “pooch,” “love handles,” or upper back bra-roll area.
- I have good skin elasticity; sagging skin is not a problem for me. For optimal results, the skin should have a good tone to contract to the body’s natural contours.
- I am at or near my desired body weight. If a patient plans on losing a lot more weight after liposuction, it will result in loose skin. Thus it’s best to do the liposuction surgery when you are close to your desired body weight.
What is the Difference Between the Different Types of Liposuction?
There are many different liposuction techniques being used. The main difference between each type of liposuction is the technology that is used to assist the fat removal process. Below are some of the types of liposuction used by surgeons:
- Laser Assisted Liposuction: this technique uses laser energy to help dislodge fat cells and allow them to be removed. SmartLipo is the most commonly used. This type of liposuction takes a long time to remove fat and is usually used in small areas.
- Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction: this technique utilizes ultrasound energy to help break up fatty tissue, allowing for easier removal of fat. VASER liposuction is the most commonly used.
- Suction Assisted Liposuction: This technique uses a vacuum-like device to help remove the fat. Power-Assisted Liposuction is a similar technique that involves a tool that enhances the motion of the cannula used to remove the fat. This form of liposuction is the most widely used and what Dr. Lee prefers to use at New Life Cosmetic Surgery Center.
How Does Liposuction Work? Liposuction is an office-based procedure. Dr. Lee uses IV medication for pain control and sedation, along with tumescent fluid anesthesia placed under the skin. Depending on the amount of liposuction the patient desires the surgery can be as little as 30 minutes or up to 3 hours. To watch Dr. Lee perform very short liposuction of the neck for a “double chin” click Chin Lipo Surgery.
What is Postoperative Care?
Recovery from liposuction is very quick. Dr. Lee usually will have his patients return to work within a few days. Dr. Lee and his team will give you recommendations on compression garments to wear for 2-3 months following surgery. The compression garment helps minimize swelling and encourage optimal skin contraction.
How do I schedule a consultation?
Call New Life Cosmetic Surgery at 956-969-8369.